Despite the summer heat, we were weirdly craving some homemade chicken tortilla soup and decided to pull out that old’ crock pot and heat things up in the kitchen!
We love crock potting, especially if you work all day long and hate having to come home and figure out what to cook (you’re tired enough already, now you have to prepare a meal too? gaahhhhh!). Luckily, you can throw a bunch of ingredients into this magical little meal maker, leave it all day long, come home, and BOOM! Meal. Made. So if you’re in the mood for something hot, spicy, easy, AND homemade, this dish is for you.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 pound frozen chicken breast
2 (15 oz) cans RoTel with green chiles
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (10 oz) package frozen corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
(Optional toppings: tortilla chips, sour cream, cilantro, shredded cheese, avocados)
- Add your chicken breast, RoTel, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into your slow cooker/crock pot.
- Slowly pour in chicken broth.
- Season with cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in frozen corn and rinsed black beans.
- Cover and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours (or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours!).
- Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or avocados.
This recipe makes about 8 servings, but is perfect to freeze and save for later (double up the ingredients if you want oodles of delicious leftovers!).
Happy Crock Potting!
Congratulations Savannah Nelson & Ryan Phelps, you’re both this week’s Hump Day Giveaway winners! Send us a message on Facebook with your address and desired size for your new cranberry “Lil’ Whiskey Girl” tank tops!
Didn’t win this week? Check back next Wednesday for another chance to WIN!